Your browser is unsupported

We recommend using the latest version of IE11, Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari.


Frequently Asked Questions

1. What scholarship related resources are available for student use?

Our office offers a variety of resources for student use. We encourage all students to sign up for our listserv. We send out a newsletter highlighting new and upcoming opportunities. Additionally, our website offers a scholarship links page which provides links to some of the most useful scholarship resources on the web.


2. Can all UIC students utilize the office?

The office serves all UIC undergraduate students and selected graduate students (those in a professional or other program not a part of the Graduate College). The Graduate Fellowships Office is dedicated specifically to helping UIC graduate students as they apply for scholarships and fellowships. Graduate students should contact Benn E. Williams at (312) 413-2389.


3. How do I make an appointment?

If you would like to make an appointment to discuss a scholarship that you are ready to apply for, or one that you have materials created for already, please call (312) 413-1066 or complete a contact form.


4. Where is the office located?

The Office of Scholarships is located within the Student Financial Aid and Scholarships office, in Suite 1800 of the Student Services Building (SSB). The Student Services Building is located at 1200 West Harrison Street.


5. What are the office hours?

Generally, the office is open 8:30am-5:00pm, Monday through Friday. The office is open during the summer from 8:30am-4:30pm., Monday through Friday.


6. Is there a particular deadline to be eligible for scholarships?

It is important to note that most UIC scholarships have deadlines during the springtime, and mostly require 12 hours completed at UIC with a GPA of 3.0 or above. Additionally, there are very few scholarship deadlines during June and July. Students should not wait until just prior to the deadline when they, and many others, are likely to need assistance.


7. Where do I find scholarships?

Scholarships are offered through the university and from outside sources for incoming students, continuing students and graduating seniors. High school students applying to UIC only need to apply to the university and the designated special programs they are interested in (e.g. Honors College, GPPA, Business Scholars) to be considered for ALL scholarships available to incoming freshmen.

Continuing students can apply for UIC-based scholarships through UIC SnAP. Students can find external scholarships on the Scholarships section on this site and through our listserv.


8. What is UIC SNAP?

The UIC Scholarship and Awards Program or UIC SnAP is UIC’s portal for continuing students to apply for scholarships. If you are an undergraduate, graduate student or professional program student you are likely to find scholarships in the system that will fit you. Most UIC scholarship applications are available the fall and/or spring semester with the funds applied to student accounts the following academic year. Some awards require you to write essays and submit a resume. Others may request references or other supporting material. A variety of awards are available year round. Use your UIC account to log into to apply.


9. How can I find out more about the Guaranteed Professional Program Admission (GPPA) initiative?

The GPPA is a program available for high school students applying to UIC. If admitted, a GPPA student is guaranteed a seat in the professional or graduate college they chose in their application. More information can be found at


10. Am I eligible to apply for scholarships?

The answer is “yes”! The more complicated part is finding that award on the right timeline. Students with all types of backgrounds: permanent residents, undocumented students, students with disabilities, non-traditional (age-wise) students, students without 4.0 GPA’s –it may take a bit of looking but there are options available. Start conducting a search by using our listserv and website.


11. Are there scholarships for undocumented students?

Yes, there are. You can find some of those awards listed on our Scholarships page. You can also contact us for assistance.


12. Are there scholarships for students with particular disabilities?

Yes, depending on the disability. Please contact us for assistance.


13. I received an external scholarship where should the scholarship provider send the check? Should the scholarship provider send anything else?

The check should be mailed to our office:

Student Financial Aid & Scholarships

University of Illinois at Chicago

1200 West Harrison Street, Suite 1800 (MC 334)

Chicago, IL 60607


The check may be payable to: University of Illinois Chicago or University of Illinois


The scholarship provider should include a letter with the check indicating:

  • The name of the scholarship recipient
  • The recipient’s UIN (nine digit student ID number)
  • Whether the scholarship is for a specific semester OR the full academic year
  • If the scholarship is restricted in use the details related to the restriction should be outlined